SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 failed upgrade

, , , ,

This was a project that occurred over a year ago so forgive me for missing a few screenshots. The customer site was preparing for a windows 10 migration by moving SCCM to a level to be supported. This was moving from SCCM 2012 R2 to SCCM 2012 R2 SP1.

Pre upgrade tasks:
– back up site servers the night before via maintenance task
– take snap shot of CAS / Primaries
– restart server and stop key sccm services from running (we disabled maintenance tasks, and deployments as well)
– Restore site database to SQL server running the same version as our SQL instance.

During the upgrade
– Successful SCCM Database upgrade
– Successful pre-req checks
– failed configmgr upgrade

There is where the wizard produced the error about a hash mismatch on MSRDCOOB_AMD63.exe that I forgot to take a screenshot of, but I do have an excerpt of the log file. During this step of the process updated files are being copied and replaced into the program files directory on your site server. When I looked at the wizards error message on face value it made me believe my download was somehow corrupted as I am always quick to suspect HBSS lol. It wasn’t until I read the few lines below in the ccmfigmgrsetup.log that I realized it was a permissions issue.

Error #1 Configmgrsetup.log
Failed to copy \CASd$FOR UPGRADEUPDATES FOR UPGRADEmsrdcoob_amd64.exe to d:program filesmicrosoft configuration managerclientx64msrdcoob_amd64.exe, Win32 error = 5
– ERROR: Failed to delete file d:program filesmicrosoft configuration managerclientx64msrdcoob_amd64.exe, Win32 error = 5

The initial implementation of SCCM years before I inherited the environment was performed with a service account that was not any longer in use. I quickly then took ownership of the folder and reset permissions. After the permissions were corrected I restarted the wizard and ran into another error.

Error #2 Configmgrsetup.log

ERROR: SQL Server error: [42S02][208][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Invalid object name ‘UpgradeViewMapping’. : spHandleDviewUpgrade
– ERROR: Failed to execute query: spHandleDviewUpgrade

This particular message occurred b/c the earlier run of the upgrade had already made it past the successful upgrade of the database and the stored procedure mentioned “spHandleDviewUpgrade” already deleted a key table needed.

In order to fix this you must run perform 2 actions.

The first is to run this SQL query on your database

GO
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[UpgradeViewMapping](

[TmpViewName] [nchar](10) NULL,

[ViewName] [nchar](10) NULL,

[ViewType] [nchar](10) NULL

) ON [PRIMARY] GO

The second is to delete the perf_msg.dll and smsperf.dll in the c:windowssystem32 folder because otherwise the setup will fail again.

Once these actions were completed the upgrade to R2 SP1 went successful.

Take away: the pre-req checker doesn’t exactly check everything like permissions to key folders and be prepared to do sql work.

 

ALSO SEE : Status Message ID 11756