failedfailed

SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 failed upgrade

This was a project that occurred over a year ago so forgive me for missing a few screenshots. The customer site was preparing for a windows 10 migration by moving SCCM to a level to be supported. This was moving from SCCM 2012 R2 to SCCM 2012 R2 SP1.

Pre upgrade tasks:
– back up site servers the night before via maintenance task
– take snap shot of CAS / Primaries
– restart server and stop key sccm services from running (we disabled maintenance tasks, and deployments as well)
– Restore site database to SQL server running the same version as our SQL instance.

During the upgrade
– Successful SCCM Database upgrade
– Successful pre-req checks
– failed configmgr upgrade

There is where the wizard produced the error about a hash mismatch on MSRDCOOB_AMD63.exe that I forgot to take a screenshot of, but I do have an excerpt of the log file. During this step of the process updated files are being copied and replaced into the program files directory on your site server. When I looked at the wizards error message on face value it made me believe my download was somehow corrupted as I am always quick to suspect HBSS lol. It wasn’t until I read the few lines below in the ccmfigmgrsetup.log that I realized it was a permissions issue.

Error #1 Configmgrsetup.log
Failed to copy \CASd$FOR UPGRADEUPDATES FOR UPGRADEmsrdcoob_amd64.exe to d:program filesmicrosoft configuration managerclientx64msrdcoob_amd64.exe, Win32 error = 5
– ERROR: Failed to delete file d:program filesmicrosoft configuration managerclientx64msrdcoob_amd64.exe, Win32 error = 5

The initial implementation of SCCM years before I inherited the environment was performed with a service account that was not any longer in use. I quickly then took ownership of the folder and reset permissions. After the permissions were corrected I restarted the wizard and ran into another error.

Error #2 Configmgrsetup.log

ERROR: SQL Server error: [42S02][208][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Invalid object name ‘UpgradeViewMapping’. : spHandleDviewUpgrade
– ERROR: Failed to execute query: spHandleDviewUpgrade

This particular message occurred b/c the earlier run of the upgrade had already made it past the successful upgrade of the database and the stored procedure mentioned “spHandleDviewUpgrade” already deleted a key table needed.

In order to fix this you must run perform 2 actions.

The first is to run this SQL query on your database

GO
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[UpgradeViewMapping](

[TmpViewName] [nchar](10) NULL,

[ViewName] [nchar](10) NULL,

[ViewType] [nchar](10) NULL

) ON [PRIMARY] GO

The second is to delete the perf_msg.dll and smsperf.dll in the c:windowssystem32 folder because otherwise the setup will fail again.

Once these actions were completed the upgrade to R2 SP1 went successful.

Take away: the pre-req checker doesn’t exactly check everything like permissions to key folders and be prepared to do sql work.

 

ALSO SEE : Status Message ID 11756

chris buck

Founder of SCCMF12TWICE.

Lead SCCM Architect/Engineer for various environment all over the world. Primarily focused on reducing complexity of enterprise environments. This also includes migrating customers to the cloud, and to windows 10 with servicing upgrades.

Strong believer in data driven operations. If we can identify problems with analytics, and visualize it to management we can reduce the amount of problems, at the same time improve customers experience, reducing support costs.

Add comment

6 + 13 =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

%d bloggers like this: